Thursday, August 12, 2010

Distressed Console Table

Have you  wanted something for your house, but you couldn't find it in the right size or didn't want to say the HUGE price tag?  Well, that was my dilemma until recently.  I needed a console table for my hallway that had storage for STUFF.  (In case you haven't noticed, we live in an older house and storage is scarce.) Ana's blog, Knock Off Wood, is the place to go to find a solution. 

I found the plans for this console table on her blog, and my husband built it for me.  In the original plans, the console had drawers instead of the open spaces.  It was also 34" tall and we decided to make it taller.  I decided ditch the drawers and put use some baskets I found at Target.  The smaller baskets hold some of the boys toys, books and games.  One of the larger baskets on the floor  is now the home for Mac's larger toys and the other is meant for every one's shoes. We don't have a mudroom so this is our solution.


I couldn't decide how to paint the table, but I knew I wanted add some color in the hallway.  I also wanted it to look old or like it was built with reclaimed wood.  I started out with two paint colors, Peacock Blue by Benjamin Moore  and Lucky Bamboo by Berh.  (These paint colors were left over from previous projects.)  I painted the table in random spots and covered about 90% of the table.  Then I added Pacer White by Sherwin Williams and  lightly sanded it to rough it up a bit.


Next, I add a crackle medium in certain spots and then painted the console Pacer White (Sherwin Williams).  After the paint dried I sanded it again trying to expose the wood in certain areas.  A little note about the crackle medium.  I will be the first to admit that I did not follow the directions correctly, but I was not impressed with this product.  I wanted really large cracks so I used long brush strokes and tried not to go back over it again.  What I got were very tiny cracks, if any at all.  If someone can recommend a product or tell me what I did wrong, I am open to suggestions. 


I still was not happy with the finish and decided to whitewash it with Pacer White.  I just mixed equal parts of water and paint and used light strokes to avoid as many brush marks as possible.  Once I had the coverage I wanted, I then used my tobacco glaze to finish it.  I will use a wipe-on poly to seal the table after it dries for a few days.





I sanded and painted many layers on this table because...1) that was the look I was after and 2) I was never quite happy with the results.  I tell you this because it is just paint.  If you don't like how something turned out just paint over it!  And if you don't like how that turned out just paint over it!  Do you see a pattern?

I printed the plans for this table from Ana's blog, Knock Off Wood.  If you have read any of my earlier post, you will already know that I am a fan of Ana's blog and you can also find her on Facebook.  Please go take a look at Ana's plans because I think you will say to yourself...."I can do that"!  However, don't go to her blog without leaving a comment about my console table first!  I am really interested to hear what you think!!!

Oh yeah, I almost forgot.  The contest to win this MAGNETIC PICTURE FRAME will end Sunday, August 15th at midnight.

Please CLICK HERE to enter! 
All you need to do is leave a comment at the end of the Giveaway post.

Thanks,
Our Southern Nest

18 comments:

Kim @ Savvy Southern Style said...

That piece looks great. I love the tagged baskets, too.

Bonnie@Creative Decorating said...

I am stopping by from Furniture Feature Friday! What an awesome table! The baskets are great! Knock Off Wood has some great things!

Robin said...

So cute. I really like the old look. I might have to try painting like you do but I'm just to nervous it will look horrible! Super super cute!

Stephanie@cre8tive said...

I saw this on Furniture Feature Friday, what a beautiful job you did. I think you hit the nail on the head with your finish. It looks awesome!

Cathy said...

Fantastic colours! I love the effect you created here, so original!

Cassie said...

Love this! I always appreciate posts with tutorials!
Thanks.

Megan Gunyan said...

i love the paint job. I have stumbled on many paint solutions simply by painting over and over until it worked out! I guess you just never give up, right? Corny. Sorry.

I'd love for you to check out my blog for a giveaway!
http://alittleknickknack.blogspot.com/2010/08/another-csn-store-giveaway.html

Jen T said...

I'm here from FFF at MMS. YOu did a fantastic job painting this table and kudos to your husband for building it. You two make a great team - it's beautiful! Jen

Mandi @ Vintage Revivals said...

I love this! I have been wanting to make somehting to go under my tv that looks reclaimed but I was kind of scared about the integrity of the piece...I just may steal your idea!

love your guts
mandi

ps I am your 50th follower!

Leslie Anne said...

I saw this on the Knock off wood facebook page and just had to come see more. It is beautiful! I love how you were determined to finish it just the way you wanted. It turned out beautifully.

Tina@HickoryDickoryHome said...

I think the table turned out great! I do know what the problem was with the crackle finish. I have used this product many times and found that it only works well with the same brand of acrylic paint and since you mixed different kinds of paint, it did not have the correct chemical reaction. I know this from experience! :) But with that said, I love what you did with it!

Our Southern Nest said...

Tina,
Thanks for that bit of information about the crackle medium. I will keep that in mind next time. Is there a crackle product that you use or would recommend?

Cotton Kandy said...

crackle works best if the base coat is a flat paint. I used satain and had the same problem. I love the colors on your console.

Anonymous said...

I love how your console table turned out. And I love all the cubbies for the baskets. I am a sucker for cute baskets and all things organization! :)

mrs. jones said...

your console table looks great! excellent work, and thanks for sharing paint colors!

crackle is so tempermental...it also will not behave itself when a quick-drying paint (like benj moore's aura) is used over it...it needs that slower-dry regular old latex in order to work. humidity, air temp, and the time allowed to dry in between coats will also change your results.

american tradition (lowe's), modern masters, adi-color and real milk paint's crackle are all good, but you just have to be prepared for variations...which you handled very gracefully, obviously, and finessed into a gorgeous finish! yay nest!

Lori @ Projects Plenty said...

I LOVE your console table. All the layers you did add so much interest and I always love a little crackle! I think the baskets are a nice touch, too.

Joy said...

I realize this is an old post, but I had to comment. I love Ana's blog and we're about to make her farmhouse bed. Your entry table looks great... maybe I need one, too!

Shae Clark said...

This is exactly what i was looking for!! Baskets and all! You did a wonderful job!