Thursday, December 8, 2011

Easy Holiday Centerpiece


I did this quick and easy centerpiece last Christmas and decided to do it again this year.  Here is what you will need:
  • Clear glass vases of different sizes
  • Oranges, lemons, limes, cranberries
  • Evergreen clippings
  • Floating candles
  • Water

First, you will want to layer a few cranberries at the bottom of the vase.  I like to see the red cranberries throughout the arrangement.  If you do not add some to the bottom, all of the cranberries will stay at the top.  (I used two bags of cranberries for three arrangements.)

Next, you will add a couple of sprigs of greenery and then the citrus fruit.  I alternated between the greenery and the fruit.  I put an orange in first to help keep some of the cranberries at the bottom and then added two limes and a lemon.  I then added some more sprigs of greenery, an orange, one lime and two lemons.  I like to use an odd number of lemon and limes.

(*A note about the greenery-  You will need very little greenery.  If you use too much, you will not be able to see the fruit.  You can either clip it from your live Christmas tree/garland, or you can use what you have in your yard.  If you do not have access to either, you can go to Home Depot or Lowe's and ask them for some of the clippings from their Christmas trees.  They usually have a big bin with a pile of greenery that has been cut from the bottom of the Christmas trees they have sold.  It is FREE and I will usually go a  couple of times during the holidays to replenish my greenery throughout the house.)


Last, you will want to fill the vase with water and top it off with a floating candle.  You can find the floating candle at most craft stores.  The arrangement will usually last 5-7 days.  You will notice the water will start to become murky.  I will drain the water when this happens and replace anything that is starting to look bad.  You can also do this arrangement without the candle and it is still just as pretty. 

The best place I have found to purchase the vases is TJ Maxx.  They are super inexpensive and they will have a variety of sizes.


I do another version of this arrangement without water.  I layered another vase I purchased from TJ Maxx with gold ornaments and greenery.




If you would like to see more pictures of our home during the holidays, please click HERE.  This is a link to the 2011 Candlelight Tour post.

Thanks for stopping by,
Our Southern Nest

1 comment:

Tenille said...

This turned out so cute. Thanks for sharing. I would love it if you could link this up to our linky party going on right now. http://junkintheirtrunk.blogspot.com/2011/12/link-it-up-wednesday-6.html