Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Charleston


                                     
This past weekend J and I went to Charleston, SC to celebrate our 10th anniversary.  I have never been to Charleston and J has only been on business.  We had a great time exploring the city.  We did a ton of walking and eating.  It was VERY hot so we visited several local establishments for something cold to drink and to borrow their air conditioning for a few minutes.





We stayed at Charleston Place on Market Street and it was wonderful.  I can't wait to go back again!  One night we had dinner at The Charleston Grill which was in our hotel.  I would have to say it was probably one of the best dining experiences I have ever had.  A jazz band played during dinner and our table was very near the band.  The food was wonderful and I would highly recommend the crab cake if you ever get the chance to dine there.



We did a walking tour with Tommy Dew from On The Market Tours on Saturday morning.  He concentrated on the original settlement of Charleston, and explained how the city develop over time.  He was very informative and very entertaining.  If you have never been to Charleston before, I would highly recommend having Tommy show you around.   When we return (which I hope is soon) I would love to go on another tour with him.  Please click here to visit his website.




For me, there are very few cities that you just instantly fall in love with and want to visit over and over again.  My first love is and always will be New Orleans.  I grew up visiting New Orleans often, and J and I were married at the St. Louis Hotel in the heart of the city.  However, after our trip to Charleston, I may have a hard time deciding between the two!


Nathaniel Russell House
Click here to visit website

Stained glass inside St. Michael's Episcopal Church

Rainbow Row

The French Huguenot Church
Click here to visit website


PS-  Right when J and I pull onto the interstate we realize that we left our camera at home.  We were already running late so there was no turning back.  I had to get these pictures from Flickr, but I just had to share some of our favorite places.  Oh well, that could be my excuse to go back this fall!
St. Philip's Episcopal Church
Click here for more information

No comments: