Sunday, April 25, 2010

Viruses, Projects and Emergency Rooms...Just a typical day at our nest

Ok, first let me say this week put me to the test as a mother and made me realize that I married a saint.  God knew what he was doing when He put us together.  This is how the week began...

  • Monday, nothing unusual.  Go to school...come home...J had to fly to Missouri.
  • Tuesday morning, 3:00 a.m.- O is violently vomiting and I am trying not to wake the baby.
  • Tuesday, later that morning- I stay home with O and notice my chest and face are very flushed.
  • Wednesday morning- J back home...O still sick...the rest of us go to school. (Now my ears are swollen and  itchy!)
  • Wednesday at noon- I am very flushed and itchy so I go see the doctor who tells me it is just a virus.
  • Wednesday afternoon- J has to go to a business dinner but gets a babysitter for me so I can rest.  By now   my head is splitting, and I am itchy and swollen and just miserable.
  • Wednesday night-  I think this might just be the end.  I think I need to go to the doctor again because I don't think I have a virus.  I call J to come home and take me to the ER.  He comes home and we are off to the ER.  The ER doctor says, "yes, you are having some kind of allergic reaction.  We will start an IV and get you some medications to make you feel better.

In walks Mr. Happy Nurse who is here to help out my assigned nurse because she is busy.  I think fine, just make my head stop hurting.  He says, "Oh, where are we going to put the IV in?"  I then tell him where others have put the needle in the past.  However, my veins were not wanting to cooperate or I was just that swollen. 

After three failed attempts of trying to start the IV, he decides he will just let the other nurse do it.  At least now my head is not hurting because my hands and arms are throbbing.  Mrs. Happy Nurse enters the room to start the IV.  I beg for just a shot and she replies, "Oh, I would hate for all these meds to go to waste.  I just got through mixing the IV bag for you.  Just let me try to start the IV this time."  I think sure! God forbid the medicine goes to waste!  It is not like I wouldn't have to pay for it anyway.  Let's just make me cry somemore.  Thankfully, she was able to start the IV this time and I got my much needed medicine.

The rest of my week is spent taking care of O, trying to help my class get ready for their big play on Friday, and get the two older boys ready for their play on Friday too.  Oh yes, I am also trying not to scratch myself to death too. 

I want to give a BIG thank you to J!  I would not have survived this week without you.  You are my hero and I love you!!!

Sorry for the long saga above!  Just a typical week at my house!  Here are some pictures of things happening outside our nest.

No comments: